RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving An Active Shooter Event.
Three things that could make a difference during an active shooter event: RUN/HIDE/FIGHT:
- Try to RUN away first, if that’s not an option, HIDE behind something very large that might protect you.
- As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down (FIGHT); this could increase your survival rate!
- Evacuate even if others don’t agree to follow; leave belongings behind.
- Try and get a description of the shoes the intruder is wearing. The intruder could change clothing or take off a shirt but probably won’t be changing shoes.
- If hiding, SILENCE ALL CELLPHONES, lock doors, block with heavy objects, turn off lights.At any point, given the chance, throw something/anything at the intruder causing a reflexive move to catch/avoid the item. To watch the full video regarding this, click here.